Church History

In 1792, Daniel Asbury organized Rehobeth Church near Terrell and it was the first Methodist Church in the area and west of the Catawba River. Sometime around 1811, a faithful group of Christians met to organize a second church in the area, Hopewell Methodist Church.
On the twelth day of September 1811, a small track of land was bought about eight miles north of Rehobeth. The first church was a small log structure and was used for forty-six years. A cemetery was also created and was used by the community.
In 1845 another piece of land was purchased adjacent to the church for a school. About 1890, Hopewell School was relocated to a larger building about one mile away and continued to educate the community children until 1922, when a state-sponsored consolidated school was opened.
Another tract of land was bought in 1857 and a larger log church was built. This church had a loft area for slaves to sit during worship. For the next forty-five years, Hopewell grew and was a leading voice in the community. Sunday School records show that one hundred nine were on the roll in 1871. Since circuit riders supplied Hopewell, preaching was not held every Sunday, so members of neighboring churches, Baptist, Reformed, and other Methodist churches often attended each other’s services and activities.
In 1902, the congregation decided to build a new church building. Mr. Charles H. Lester designed the building and members set up workdays and worked together to build the new church. It had white lapped-board siding and was built in the shape of a cross. In 1923 the building was enlarged to make space for more Sunday School classes. During the next thirty years, Hopewell continued to grow, with the organization of Epworth League for youth and the Women’s Missionary Society.
Our congregation was blessed again around 1936, when the estate of George W. Jones provided money to erect a new church building at Hopewell. A beautiful Gothic-style brick church was built with a large sanctuary area to seat 200 and classroom spaces on the ground and third floor areas. This is the building still in use today. The sanctuary area was remodeled around 1950 and again in 2010. In 1994 the Family Life Center was built and services many church and community activities. An Education Building was built in 2006 to provide additional classroom space.
After more than 200 years, Hopewell Church is still a strong and vibrant church in the Sherrills Ford area. Activities for children, women, and men are on-going. Our church also houses a local Clothes Closet and Food Pantry (www.sffoodpantry.com). There are support group sessions for those dealing with Grief and Bereavement and also Loss of Jobs and Unemployment.
Hopewell has been an important part of its community for more than 200 years and it will continue to be a place of hope and encouragement for its members and the world at large. Our motto, “Actions for Christ Together” helps us to remember that God’s people must work together to see his plans and purposes completed.